Friday, March 1, 2013

Just when we thought we had it figured out...

Well it didn't take long for another curve ball to be thrown at us... Yesterday Anabelle and I were in the kitchen eating lunch and I looked over at Anabelle and she had her eyes crossed. I told her playfully "quit doing that it's weird" and she shook her head and quit. Then she looked right at me and I watched her right eye drift towards the center of her face while her left stayed put. She closed her eyes shook her head and refocused again. Now I have heard/read that children with "Spastic Diplegia CP" have trouble with vision and often end up needing glasses, but this just seemed too strange. After asking her to look at me about 10 times and her eye doing the same thing I panicked a litttle (wouldn't you?) and I called her doctor. Well of course the doctor wasn't "in today" so they referred me to the 24/7 nurse help line. I was on hold for over 20 minutes before I finally got through to someone. Now, I don't know if you have ever tried to keep a 2 year old quiet for 20 minutes but its not easy. Finally I talk to the nurse, explain what's going on and she says "Well I just dont know, let me call a physician and I will call you back." Ugh... more waiting... She calls back tells me the Physician isn't sure either and we should probably go to the ER and have some sort of emergency scan done. I call Ronn and my mom they both agree to meet me at the ER. We get there and wouldn't ya know it there is a huge wait. After waiting about 3 hours we finally get a bed. We sit down, we wait, and then the doc comes in. She says "well she isn't doing it now and doing a CT scan would do more harm than good. Also an MRI would take more coordination tonight than I feel is necessary, so I will call her Pediatrician and recommend that you have an MRI done and then you are free to go home." WHAT?!?! You mean to tell me we have waited four hours for that?! Now I am not mad at anyone. I understand the ER has certain protocol, the Peds office has certain protocol and there were people with more serious issues going on in the ER last night. But I was just so let down. I really wanted answers. So I called Anabelle's Pediatrician this morning and she has an appt set for Monday and my hope is that we can get an MRI scheduled and maybe get Anabelle referred to a neurologist. I will let you all know more when I know more. Until then... Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment